- Crowns , Dentists in dulles , Implant ,
- 12 Mar
Interested in all things dental? Improve your knowledge of dental trivia and see how much you really know:
- How often do most people admit to brushing? Sadly, 25% of adults admit that they aren’t brushing twice a day. When you divide up into men and women, a whole third of men aren’t brushing twice a day. And one-tenth of the population says that they “regularly” forget to brush. These are some people who need a stronger lecture from their local dentist.
- How many people have dental implants? Dental implants are replacements for missing teeth that look and function just like real teeth. With proper care, dental implants will last a lifetime. Currently, there are three million people in the United States that have dental implants. Every year, another 500,000 people get dental implants, too. A further 15 million people have a different kind of replacement for their missing teeth: the older crowns and caps to replace their teeth.
- How often do people go to the dentist? Half of the adults in the United States claim to be seeing their dentist every six months. That’s good, but a third of people in a Gallop poll didn’t go to the dentist at all in the last year. The youngest adults, those from 18-29 are the least likely to visit the dentist. But once people get to be middle age or older, they also stop visiting as regularly. It’s those people in the middle, from 30-50, who are visiting regularly. And if you’re married, you’re more likely to see a dentist than a single adult.
- How long have humans been practicing general dentistry? Ther is evidence for dentistry from as far back as 7,000 years ago. Treatments varied from wrapping papers written over with prayers and charms around a sore tooth to even creating a form of toothpaste. Among the ancient Egyptians, toothache was far more common with the wealthy than anyone else. The wealthy could afford more fancy grain, which is really hard on the teeth, and could also get sweets to suck on.
- How many people are afraid of going to the dentist? Although modern dentistry is a lot easier, much less painful, and much more effective for the patient than ancient dentistry, some people are just nervous about dentists. About 15% of people in America are anxious about seeing a dentist. Thankfully, sedation dentistry exists specifically to help them. Whether you’re in for fillings, dental implants, or getting fitted for some veneers, it’s possible to get sedated to take some of the fear out of the visit.
- Who has the most valuable teeth? Apparently, Sir Isaac Newton. One of his teeth was sold in 1816 in London for over $35,000 in today’s money. In 2011 one of John Lennon’s teeth sold for just over $31,000.
There’s a lot more trivia about dentists and dentistry out there, but before you spend any more time looking it up, maybe you should go brush your teeth. Then make an appointment with your local dentist and get things cleaned and checked out. You’ll thank us later!